At Future Directions, we offer a full spectrum of services to supplement & complement those delivered through your school. Our goal is to empower students to lead a successful academic journey, through collaboration and partnership with parents/guardians.
Our experienced Educational Consultants will provide quality, in-depth sessions that are tailored to your student’s needs.
Our Educational Consultants speak English, French, Mandarin, and Spanish.
Understanding and Navigating our Educational System
What are the structures and pathways for education in my province? How do I better guide my students?
- Our consultant will explain, plan with you and review your course selections, requirements for graduation, make a preliminary plan for your choices for post-secondary programs, keeping your options flexible and open.
International Students coming to Canada
Our Educational Consultants work with international students who are thinking of pursuing their post-secondary education in a Canadian institution. They can guide students to find the right program and institution for their success in Canada.
- We can help you find the best English Language Learner (ELL) support in secondary and post-secondary institutions.
- We can assist with English language (IELTS and TOEFL) test preparation.
Transition to Secondary School
Graduating from Grade 8 to Grade 9? What academic levels should I choose? What are the implications for future studies? What are the required and elective courses for grade 9?
- Our consultant will explain the different levels of study in secondary schools based on your student’s achievement, academic record and strengths, how they influence future course selections and with you we will develop a secondary school course plan.
- Elementary learning support: If your child is struggling, we can review their study habits and skills and make suggestions to increase their success.
Can you achieve more? Do you need help with study skills, organization, exam or essay writing?
Concerned about student success? Our experienced consultants can provide the knowledge & direction you need.
Learning support and advising to increase student success:
- study skills
- exam / test-taking strategies: essay type and multiple-choice questions
- essay writing
Course Planning & Selection
Which courses should you study next year or over the next few years to achieve your goals?
- We will assist with course selection and planning for secondary school grades 9 through 12, considering graduation requirements and electives offered by your school.
Leaning in a Virtual Environment
- We can provide you with the tips, tools and ongoing coaching to help you perform at your best in a Virtual Learning Environment.
- Interpretation of Individual Education Plans (IEPs) of learning accommodations advising/implementation/support.
- How IEP’s translate to eligible supports at universities and colleges.
- Determine the best-fit post-secondary institutions that offer the most appropriate supports.
Specialized Secondary School Program
Our consultants are experienced in specialized programs that may be integrated into a student’s secondary school program, and together we will examine the advantages and disadvantages.
- Advanced Placement program, preparation, courses and exams.
- International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program.
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Program.
- Co-operative education programs in secondary schools.
- Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Programs, OYAP.
- Extra credits such as summer school, on-line, etc. to give a student more flexibility and time to pursue their interests and strengthen their application.
Discover career opportunities that best suit your interests, passions, and goals. Our expert Educational Consultants excel at:
- Career Counselling (Non assessment or inventory).
- We have Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) trained consultants to administer, score, interpret and apply to career choices, narrowing down possible careers and assistance in selecting “best fit” for post-secondary (college/university).
- We can coach you to improve your job skills such as resume writing, applications and interviews.
Transition to Post-SecondaryWe can help students and families learn about the different programs and institutions available to find the one that fits your student’s goals. What are my options? University, College, Trade schools? Am I taking the required courses? How do I apply? What programs and institutions are available and best suited for my student?
- We will design Secondary to Post-secondary Pathways based on an area of program interest, or multiple programs, keeping a student’s options open and flexible.
- Review of academic records and overall academic profile.
- Tailored list of schools.
- University application planning, assistance, and review – step by step.
- Essay advising and essay development and review.
- College application planning, assistance, and review – step by step.
- Assisting with University and College admission offers, decision-making and accepting an offer (April/May).
- Apprenticeships and Trades.
- Gap Year: If a student is considering taking a break from school, our consultants will assist the student and family in choosing a productive growth experience.
- How to defer your offer of admission to have a secure place when the year is over.
- Determine what would make for a productive gap year.
- Present and review gap year opportunities and options.
- Discuss the pros and cons of taking a gap year.
- Group workshops for graduating students to review procedures for post-secondary application process, financial aid, scholarships, tests, essays when required, etc.
- Parent workshops to review procedures for post-secondary application process, financial aid, scholarships, tests when required, etc.
Scholarships, Bursaries & GrantsWe will work with you to determine your academic strengths, your background and your connections to find funding for your post-secondary journey, here in Canada and internationally:
Student Wanting to Study Abroad
Our Educational Consultants have vast experience and know the ins and outs of many other countries’ education systems. We provide assistance with the post-secondary application process for out of province and internationally:
- Common Application.
- University and College Application Service (UCAS) in the U.K.
- Advising on SAT/ACT/IELTS and other entrance test requirements, preparation and timelines.
- Essay advising and essay development/review.
- Long-term U.S. application guidance/support.
Our Educational Consultants will assist student athletes to match them with athletic opportunities at desired Universities and Colleges in both Canada and the USA.
- Review the NCAA Clearinghouse process.
- Review letters of intent.
- Assist with and review the post-secondary institution’s application.
- Review athlete’s profile and development.
Adult Student Consultation
- Returning to School.
- Furthering your Education While Employed.
- Changing Careers.
Discover career opportunities that best suit your interests, passions, and goals. Our expert Educational Consultants excel at Career Counselling.
- We will work with you to explore your strengths, skills and interests and discover a range of educational programs that will help you to continue with, advance, and/or change your career path.
- We can help you plan to get from where you are now to where you want to be in your educational journey.
- We have Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) trained consultants to administer, score, interpret and apply to career choices, narrowing down possible careers and assistance in selecting “best fit” secondary and post-secondary programs.
- We can coach you to improve your job skills such as resume writing, applications, and interviews.